Turns out that Quest has great tasting chips. Today, I had the Ranch Tortilla Chips. OMG. They were delish. 19g of protein, 4 net carbs for the whole bag. So delish. I am going to try the other flavors (one … Continue reading
Two small servings of fruit per day with your six small protein portions and four small servings of vegetables per day. Try to stick to lower sugar fruits.
(basically a small serving is about 1/2 a cup of the lower sugar items and 1/4 a cup of the higher sugar items or half of a banana.)
Fruits Lowest in Sugar
Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar
Fruits Fairly High in Sugar
Fruits Very High in Sugar
Someone I know has been doing low carb and wrote me for advice. Most of what I tell people to do is on Skinny-Rules, if you scroll back to September, 2012 and just keep reading. This person who wrote me said that they need recipes and ideas.
Ten Nutshell Rules on How to Get Skinny and Stay Skinny!
1. LOW CARB: Get a few basic decent easy low carb recipes. I have written about them. Cauliflower-based pizza, chicken burrito in a low carb tortilla, greek yogurt (Dannon Lite and Fit), protein bars like Nature Valley PROTEIN Dark Chocolate and Peanut Butter (at Target and Amazon.com), Power Crunch (online, Trader Joes, Smart and Final), cheese, eggs (omelette), chicken or turkey sausage, bacon, turkey patties to grill, turkey meatloaf (on blog too), different variety of salad with meat, cheese, sunflower seeds, veggies. Finding restaurants that have good protein-style salads, good meat and veggies (no pasta or rice). I made my own Chicken Masala with Splenda instead of sugar.
2. There are a ton of low carb cookbooks on Amazon. Get one. Here is one. http://www.amazon.com/500-Low-Carb-Recipes-Snacks-Dessert/dp/1931412065/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363127323&sr=8-2&keywords=low+carb+cookbook. You can Google recipes too. And for God’s sake, go back and read my blog entries. I write it all. Recipes, ideas, how-tos, inspiration. It is all there. I worked hard on this to help others. I don’t get anything for it.
3. Plan like when you have a baby and are leaving the house or when you are in school and prepping for class. PLAN! Plan and prep what you need every week (shop) and prepare the night before or get up extra early and plan what you will bring with you to eat every 3-4 hours or plan where you will go to get what you need. Even Chick Fil A has a healthy chargrilled chicken salad. I always carry sunflower seeds or a protein bar in my purse for emergencies where I need food. Don’t let yourself starve and mess up your metabolism and don’t put yourself in the position to have to succumb to bad food.
4. Always drink fluids.
5. If all you have in front of you to eat is high carb food, try to work with it. Get a burger, either protein style it in a lettuce wrap or just throw out the bun. If you have pasta with meat in it, eat the meat and not the pasta. Fill up on salad if it is there. Try to find out what meals you will be around and prep if you can, bring something to eat if you have to do it. You don’t have to eat crap, wherever you go!
6. Don’t have more than 4-6 ounces of meat at each of your daily 6 protein servings. Get a scale and weigh food for a while to get a handle on what that amount looks like so you can just look at meat and guess the ounces on it.
7. Twice a day, have salad and veggies with a meal. Small portion sizes.
8. No alcohol on a diet. Messes up your fat burning and gives you extra carbs.
9. Don’t let your friends/family sabotage you. This is your diet and tell them to knock it off. It is just like having someone try to get you to take heroin when you are in recovery. It is called “enabling” and “sabotage”. This is not friendship or love. This is them trying to suck you back into their dysfunctional hole. Don’t go there. You worked too hard to get out.
10. Exercise and no excuses. People keep asking me to do things and I only do things when they don’t interfere with getting in my exercise or it is a special occasion. I have to be disciplined to stay skinny.
If you look at my blogs, especially the ones that I wrote in Sept, 2012 , you will read a lot about the rules in what to do in order to lose weight. I lost 40 pounds in 4 months with these basic rules. But, some people are new and need to know the rules and some people might have forgotten or need a refresher. So…..
To recap what some of the rules are:
1. You have to eat 6 small protein based meals a day, about 4 hours apart. Basically, 3 meals a day, 3 snacks a day, but all protein-based. Meats are about 4-6 ounces per serving.
2. It is easy to find low carbs proteins in eggs, all types of meat, protein bars, protein shakes, nuts, seeds, cheese, low carb dairy treats, cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt.
3. You should only have between 50g and 100g carbohydrates a day. So, as far as measurements go, look at labels. If something is more than 15g of carbs per serving, then that might be too much. You need to average out about 10g of carbs per serving and if you are eating something that is more than that, then you need to take it away from something else during the day. Do not do less than 50g of carbs a day.
4. Buy a carbohydrate guide or use the internet and look online to see what amount of carbohydrates are in certain things. After while you will just remember things like that there is only 1 g of carbs in an egg.
5. Take Potassium Gluconate 19g mg twice a day or 99mg, two orally twice a day.
6. Fruit, twice a day. About half a cup on most fruits, 1/2 a banana (high in carbs), a medium orange, etc.
7. Vegetables, twice a day. About a cup on most vegetables, except for items like carrots (starches). Avoid starchy veggies like potatoes, yams and sweet potatoes.
8. A cup of lettuce each time, twice a day. And low-carb salad dressing.
9. 80 ounces of water or sugar-free drinks a day.
10. Get in some form of exercise at least 3 times per week.