I am off wheat products because of how badly the product is grown now and how it makes me gain weight and get a big belly (read the Wheatbelly by Dr. William Davis http://www.amazon.com/dp/1609611543.
But, I feel that I can have it once in awhile, but it has to be a low-carb version.
Here is a list of 10 food ideas that you can have once in awhile and know that you won’t be hurting your low-carb diet.
1. PANCAKES! You can go to Lindora.com and buy their mix, which is about 13g of carbs for a small stack and they taste great. Make sure you get lite syrup that has few carbs per tablespoon. Remember that Pancake Syrup is about 53 g of carbs per 4 tablespoons. I can get a quarter of a cup for 10g of carbs in my syrup. (See picture)
Also, there are mixes at Netrition.com:
http://www6.netrition.com/lc_foods_pancake_mix.html and http://www6.netrition.com/tova_carbquik_page.html (which can be used for waffles and pizza too)
I haven’t bought it yet, but if it is as good as their syrup, I am going to like it.
2. FlatOut Bread, with less than 10g net carbs per piece. Make wraps or pizza.
3. Western Bagel Perfect 10 Bagel (10g net carbs per bagel vs. over 35g for most bagels):
4. Netrition and other online sites have breads and pita breads that are low carb. Look at Netrition.com for choices. Also, there are some low-carb and diabetic sugar free places in different cities and states. Look them up online.
But, Netrition.com and Lindora.com also sell low-carb pasta noodles for sphaghetti, lasagna, etc.
7. LOW carb protein bars. This one and Power Crunch are my favorites, although my sister in law likes the lower carb Kind bars.
8. There are lower carb small flat breads in the market for sandwiches, but watch the carb count on those. Remember, you want between 50 and 100g of carbs a day and no more, to lose weight. The closer to 50, the faster the weight falls off. However, the low-carb tortillas that I have bought at Costco and Trader Joes make a nice enchillada with turkey, cheese, tomatoes and sauce.
9. Cauliflower-based pizza crust pizza. So good, you won’t miss the wheat crust. SO low carb. I can eat the whole 9 inch pizza for about 10-15g of carbs vs. 30g per slice of a normal pizza.
10. My zucchini instead of pasta noodles lasagna. Delicious. However, if you really want to get LOW CARB pasta, you can get it online at places like Netrition.com or a low carb shop. If you eat the regular noodles, it is fattening! Too many carbs!