In honor of my one year anniversary since starting on my new way of eating (LOW CARBS), I am going to honor a request to write about what to do if you have a sweet tooth.
I do like chocolate. I think most women do. So, if you have one, you have to either buy things that have low carbs that are pre-made, or you have to learn how to try out new recipes.
Remember: If you have a chocolate fix, it has to be considered one of your six small meals for the day, so try to get a lot of protein in with it if it is possible! You need protein to burn away fat.
You have to keep reminding yourself that if you are craving things, then a couple of things could be happening to you:
ONE: You have not come to terms yet that you are a sugar and carb junkee and your sugar level is so low now after your last carb/sugar fix, that you need more to feed the crazy sugar train.
TWO: You are not eating enough and drinking enough water in between your meals and you are allowing your body to crave because your sugar levels are low. Try eating within 3-4 hours between every meal, drink your water and you might feel better more often. Sometimes people crave food or sweets when they are actually THIRSTY.http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1663
*I speak from experience. I am a former dessert and pasta junkee. I love having my Carbolite at night because I love the creamy nature of it, but it is very low in carbs. However, I would be just as happy with a mini low carb pizza. I never thought I would feel this way!
Quick chocolate fixes:
1. If you eat a chocolate bar, you can look at the label and eat only the amount of carbs you are allotting yourself for the day and put it away or break it up and put the pieces into baggies that are measured out for each day that you ea. t them. Try not to have more than 15 to 20 g of carbs per treat. Remember: 50-100g of carbs per day or you will never lose the weight! Trader Joe’s has a lighter bar with no sugar added near their cash registers. It still has a lot of carbs, but less than most bars. So, buyer beware.
2. However, if you are easily tempted to eat the whole bar–other choices, low carb ice cream choices are in the freezer department of your local grocery store. You can find many different Weight Watcher choices. Here is a list: http://www.sparkpeople.com/calories-in.asp?food=weight+watchers+ice+cream. Try to stick to 20g of carbs or less and try for more protein. 1g of protein kinda sucks!
3. There are also low carb CHOCOLATE and other type of protein bars that combine chocolate with protein, which is a win-win, in my book. There are many, but my personal favorites: Nature Valley Protein Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter bars, Power Crunch bars and Lindora.com has some good ones. Atkins have some, but I am not so much into them.
4. There is peanut butter! Two tablespoons vary between 6-8 g of carbs.
5. Low carb desserts that you can make: Here are some free recipes. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/tp/Top-Low-Carb-Desserts.htm or
Go to Carbessentials.net or Netrition.com and order some chocolate things, already made.
6. Have some fruit. Natural sugar. You can even put it in some GREEK YOGURT. Best low carb fruits are citrus and berries. Get some berries, put some low sugar whip cream on top and pretend you are having something decadent.
7. Make a mini pizza (always does the trick for me). You can do the cauliflower based recipe or make them on flat pita bread. As seen here: https://skinny-rules.com/2012/09/16/low-carb-quick-pizza/
8. Low sugar chocolate pudding or tapioca pudding. Look on the labels. The lower fat ones usually have less sugar. Check the labels. They are usually very low, like 5g of carbs, but you can make them at home too: http://www6.netrition.com/jello_sf_instant_pudding.html
9. Nuts! You have to measure out and look at carbs, but they can really satisfy and they have protein.
10. Lindora has the most delicious chocolate wafer cookies, if you look at their website, made by Kot….$10 afor a box.http://store.lindora.com/index.php/dark-chocolate-tea-biscuit.html There is milk chocolate too. There are tons of recipes out there and I will try them and write about them soon.
Soon enough, I will have recipe try outs. If anyone tries any recipes before I do, please write me.
Anyway, there are 10 ideas for now. I will come up with more over time.